A dental implant is a titanium fixture that serves as a replacement for the root portion of a missing natural tooth. This is then used to support replacement teeth that serve as a permanent alternative to missing teeth. The dental implant is placed in the bone of the upper or lower jaw and serves as an ‘anchor’ for the replacement tooth.
Drawbacks of Conventional Teeth-Replacement Options:
- Bulky and cover the palate (roof of the mouth)
- Interfere with speech
- Inability to chew all kinds of foods!
- Lack of appreciable sensation of taste
- Often have a clicking sound – a social embarrassment!
- ‘Easy to Lose/Break’ – It needs frequent removal and cleaning and should be stored in water while not in the mouth (or it would shrink and not fit!
- Emotional and psychological impact – wearing a prosthetic!
- Facial bone loss and premature aging – as denture teeth lack ‘roots’ and do not stimulate bone, the bone structure of the face and jaws remodel over time and make a person look older and aged!
- Destructive Process – Need to ‘cut’/grind adjacent teeth for support!
- Doesn’t replace the root portion of a tooth.
Advantages of Implants:
- Reliable: Success rate – highly predictable. Implants are considered an excellent option for tooth replacement.
- Esthetic: Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth!
- Conservative Procedure: Dental implants don’t sacrifice the quality of your adjacent teeth.
- Treatment plan flexibility – Implants enable more flexibility in planning treatment.
- Durability – Implants bond to the jaw bone and become part of it – this integration is as strong as a natural tooth root.
- Bone health Maintenance – Dental implants ensure that the bone area is stimulated, which prevents long term bone loss.
- Confidence – Dental implants allow you to function with comfort and confidence! Say goodbye to worries of losing dentures and messy pastes and glues.
- Eat Better – Well made denture enable a person to chew at only 15-20% efficiency when compared to a person with natural teeth! Dental implants can restore chewing efficiency comparable to that of natural teeth. Also implants allow you to chew on all kinds of food. Dentures which cover the palate can inhibit the proper appreciation of taste. Implants let you enjoy your favorite foods.